Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quintana Roo



I am feeling a little spoiled lately since I have had two amazing vacations right in a row; but I couldn't help write about our recent trip to the beautiful state of Quintana Roo in Mexico. It was truly magical. Our whole family and significant others decided to head down to the Yucatan for a week and it was just a wonderful time. 

During the trip, I realized my perception of Mexico had been so tainted by brief encounters in border towns as well as all the stories of violence that dominate the headlines these days. But this is the second time that I've been to Mexico in two years and each time I go, I fall more and more in love with the country. The Yucatan felt incredibly safe, even safer than I had originally thought. Mexican history and tradition are so incredibly rich that I ask myself why I skipped over this beautiful country in all my years of travel in Latin America.

We swam in beautiful cenotes, walked along the powder white beaches with crystal blue water, frequented the markets because everything was "almost free today", wore ridiculous Mexican hats, bought lovely huipiles, saw the beautiful ruins of Chichen Itza and Tulum and traveled the majestic (and bumpy) roads in Sian Kaan


We took tons of pictures but our camera cord has gone missing. Luckily Instagram and I are good friends. 


3.5 hour flight from Chicago can't be beat! 



Tulum is a truly magical spot that I want to get back to someday! 


Chichen Itza is a bit of a hike from the coast but so worth it! (If you go, take the slow road. The toll highway will cost you $40!!!!)


We were obliged to where these ridiculous Mexican hats at a restaurant one night. They came off about 5 minutes after this picture was taken. 


Quintana Roo is not a artisan hot spot like San Cristobal or Oaxaca but I did manage to buy some beautiful Huipiles. Probably at a very inflated rate! 



These are the amazing cenotes covering the Yucatan penisula. They are just amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment